Monday, July 30, 2012

AFP [Advanced Function Printing] to PDF [Portable Document Format]

As I am in support for one of the legacy TCS tool called CasePac.. I am forced to learn quite a lot things about mainframes.. I never thought Mainframes had so much importance during 80's and 90's.. What is quiet amazing is the tool architecture, design, coding and support.. Its just too great.. In my little IT experience I have never seen such a great work @ TCS..

Some of the manuals were in Mainframes and I was wondering how this can be moved to Windows.. I got a hard copy by printing it directly from mainframes, I am not happy holding those many papers and wasting that many papers for every one.. As the printout was done by a laser printer, it much not be an legacy thing, so did some googling and found about AFP.. Then one more day to thinking and googling, got to know about the AFP Viewer plugin.. Its free and it worked perfectly.. I have got soft copy of CasePac 4.3 Manual without wasting any paper..

It feels really good making contribution to Green Earth despite how little the contribution may be.. :-)

I got a chance to use it for some other legacy systems manuals too.. Not sure what sort of feedback I will get. I just over reacted on providing my solution.. :-( I should have made it more polite way..

No comments:

Post a Comment